1) What is the Monterey Bay Defense Alliance (MBDA)? The Monterey Bay Defense Alliance (MBDA) is a membership-based nonprofit organized originally by the City of Monterey. MBDA is committed to enhancing, growing and protecting the national security assets in the Monterey Bay Area.
2) What is the mission of MBDA? The Mission of MBDA is to support and grow Monterey Bay Area National Security Assets.
3) What are the goals of MBDA? (1) Define/illustrate the dense network of national security assets co-located or proximally located in the Monterey Bay Area. (2) Expand and strengthen relationships within the network. (3) Address military value, costs and other issues that affect Monterey Bay Area national security assets.
4) Why is MBDA needed? Fiscal realities will continue to pressure the Defense Budget. MBDA, like many comparable organizations in communities across the country hosting military bases, can engage local, state and federal government in ways that Department of Defense (DoD) activities cannot. Communities, bases, DoD activities and the military services will continue to compete to demonstrate who provides the most value to our national security, and thus deserve continued investment from DoD. The City of Monterey is at the epicenter of these efforts. MBDA is needed to help the DoD activities in the Monterey Bay Area better compete for the recognition and support necessary to sustain and grow their missions.
5) How is MBDA organized and implemented? MBDA is a membership-based 501 c(3) nonprofit. At present, the MBDA Executive Committee (see MBDA Executive Committee page on this website) comprises the Board of Directors. In the future the Board will be expanded to include additional members representing local education, health services, defense industry, business, tourism and hospitality, agriculture, transportation, veterans, and county/city government. The Board will be supported eventually by one or more Advisory Committees.
6) What DoD activities reside in the Monterey Bay Area? The Monterey Bay Area is home to many DoD activities: Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC); Naval Post Graduate School (NPS); Fort Hunter Liggett (FHL); Presidio of Monterey (POM); Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC); Camp Roberts Maneuver Training Center (CRMTC); Naval Support Activity Monterey Bay (NSAMB); Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center (FNMOC); Naval Research Laboratory Marine Meteorology Division (NRL/MRY); 514th Signal Company (SATCOM); Personnel and Security Research Center (PERSEREC); U.S. Coast Guard Station Monterey; Army Analytics Group Research Facilitation Team(AAG/RFT); Defense Resource Management Institute (DRMI); TRADOC Analysis Center Monterey (TRAC Monterey); and Ord Military Community (OMC).
7) What is the local economic impact of the DoD activities that reside in the Monterey Bay Area? These organizations provide over 15,000 local jobs and over $1.4 billion per year in local payroll. With an estimated total economic impact of over $2 billion per year, they comprise one of the four main pillars of the Monterey Bay economy, along with agriculture, tourism and education.
8) Who is the Chairman of MBDA? The Chairman of MBDA is Mr. Fred Meurer.
What is the relationship between MBDA and the City of Monterey? The City of Monterey initiated the formation of MBDA and currently provides staff support to MBDA.
9) What is the relationship between MBDA and Monterey County? There is no formal relationship between MBDA and Monterey County.
10) What is the relationship between MBDA and the State of California? There is no formal relationship between MBDA and the State of California. However, Vice Admiral Dan Oliver (USN-Ret), the Founding Chairman of MBDA, sits on the Governor’s Military Council.
11) What is the relationship between MBDA and the Federal Government? None of the MBDA members are current federal employees, and there is no formal relationship between MBDA and the Federal Government.
12) What is the relationship between MBDA and the DoD activities in the Monterey Bay Area? There is no formal relationship between MBDA the DoD activities in the Monterey Bay Area.
13) What entity will engage Members of Congress, California State Legislators and other senior leaders on matters pertaining to strengthening and protecting the Monterey Bay Area DoD activities? The City of Monterey, supported directly by MBDA, will do this engagement.
14) What entity will serve as the “single voice of the community” on matters pertaining to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process? The City of Monterey, supported directly by MBDA, will play this role.
15) What is the Monterey Bay National Security Cluster? The Monterey Bay National Security Cluster refers to our local DoD activities plus other nearby organizations that play a role in National Security (e.g., U.S. Coast Guard Station Monterey; Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey; California State University Monterey Bay; University of California Santa Cruz; NOAA National Weather Service; NOAA National Ocean Service; Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute; Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System; various Silicon Valley high-tech companies; etc.). Demonstrating collaboration and synergy among members of the Monterey Bay National Security Cluster, including the local DoD activities, will strengthen the argument for keeping our local DoD presence intact and in place.
16) What is the relationship between MBDA and the Monterey Bay National Security Cluster? MBDA will promote and celebrate the Monterey Bay National Security Cluster.
17) From where does MBDA obtain funding? MBDA funds are obtained through grant funding, donations, and paid memberships. The City of Monterey also provides paid staff support for MBDA.
18) How do I join or donate to MBDA? Visit the Join/Donate page on this website to join and/or donate to MBDA. For further information contact Mike Clancy at email@example.com or 831-235-5436.
19) What is the relationship between MBDA and the California Defense Communities Alliance (CDCA)? MBDA Is a Founding Member of CDCA, and MBDA Vice Chair, Hans Uslar, serves as a member of the CDCA Board of Directors.
20) What is the MBDA mailing address? The MBDA mailing address is: Monterey Bay Defense Alliance; P.O. Box 924; Monterey, CA, 93942.
21) What is the MBDA Tax ID Number? The MBDA Tax ID Number is 84-1905630.